A Close Look At A Novel By Nobel 2022 Winner: French Writer Annie Ernaux






by 
4803630
's review on Goodreads  

really liked it


I approached this book with some diffidence - in my opinion, the Nobel in Literature is often oddly chosen, picking out writers that in fact, you wouldn't read, and then when you do (just because they won the prize and you want to know why), you're (predictably) disappointed. I won't name names here because when I don't like authors I never write about them, I just retreat in a (diplomatic) silence and that's that.

Well, you've guessed it, this time was different. Totally different, I loved it! This is a remarkable memoir that captures the anxiety and deep inner contradictions of our society - indeed, as the book cover blurb claims (but justifiably so), it has universal appeal. It's short, fast-paced, written in a sober style, the author herself defines it as a "flat style". Flat or not, it's very effective, it will keep you riveted as it depicts in an unforgettable way the rise of the middle class in the 1950s following World War II, and what it did to those left behind.

In this case, poignantly, it's the daughter who rises (Annie Ernaux, the author) and the person left behind is her father.

Highly recommended.


READING PROGRESS

October 8, 2022 – Started Reading
October 8, 2022 – Shelved
October 10, 2022 – Finished Reading

Comments