What Dreams Tell You

Do our dreams tell us something about ourselves as Freud would have it? Do they tell us about the future? Can they act as a warning of impending doom? So many writers have used that device to  push their story to another level of suspense...
Nightmare (painting by Claude)

This morning I woke up in a sweat, I'd had a nightmare: a friend of mine had asked me to look after her young child, a lovely, lively red-haired little boy, about four years-old, his brown eyes full of mischief. I had taken him to the village fair and somehow, the child had disappeared. I looked for him everywhere, searching every carousel, pastry shop, game stand and he was nowhere. I kept looking for his read head in the crowd, but there was no read-haired person to be seen. 

What would I tell his mother? God, what should I do? Call the police in, obviously, the sensible thing to do. Make them look for the child and hope they'd find him soon. But that was no solution when it came to what I'd have to tell the mother. I was responsible and I had failed miserably...

I woke up feeling like a despicable piece of you-know-what. And yet the strange thing is, I have no idea who the mother was. I can't remember her face, if I ever saw it. This is so typical of dreams: a major character featuring in them has no face, no identity. At least, that's the way it is for me. 

The other odd thing about this dream is that I remembered it, I normally never do. My dreams vanish in the crevices of my memory and usually, all I know is that I had a dream but have no idea what it was. One thing for sure: that dream expresses angst - as do the paintings you see here that I did a few years ago.
Night Phantasms (painting by Claude)
I sincerely hope that neither the paintings nor my dream of the lost child are warnings of impending events!

Do you dream too? What do you think your dreams express, desire, fear, a yearning, a sense of loss? Or do you believe dreams are or can be signs coming from another world, warnings of future events?

If you're a writer, do you use your dreams in your books? I never do, if one of my characters dreams, I have to invent it or use someone else's dream. 

Or do dreams have absolutely no place in your busy life, and if so, how do you manage to keep them out of your unconscious?


Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Elizabeth said…
I once dreamed the entire plot of a book I then published! From beginning to end. It wasn't an anxiety dream though. those are terrible and I believe that though they aren't hard and fast predictors of the future, nightmares should be heeded. Your subconscious is telling you something.
Elizabeth Jennings
Wow, the entire plot of a book? That's fantastic! Actually, since I wrote that post (2 days ago) I had a dream - it was this morning - which gave me the end of my serial novel 2213: Forever Young, very useful really because I had no idea how to end it!

So yes, for us writers, our dreams do enter our books in more ways than one, not just through the characters but the plot too!
Anonymous said…
I dream all the time. Mostly they're from stress I'm sure. Some dreams aren't too bad. Others leave me feeling depressed all day. And yes, I have used some of my dreams in my writing.
That's very true, Emandyves, dreams can leave me depressed or in a bad mood when I wake up but in my case I never quite remember them, except for the case I mentioned above that was a dream without any emotional content, it was more like a long, semi-rational consideration of how my novel might end...I wonder whether I remove my dreams from my conscious mind because of their emotional content? If that is so, if one tends to forget dreams because of their emotional charge, I'd love to know how you manage to hold onto them, particularly since you make use of them in your writing. Do you jot them down in a notebook the minute you wake up?
Fascinating post and interesting that we both wrote about dreams on the same day! I think that the times I remember my dreams (stress dreams, usually)it's due to waking up shortly after the dream. I've never been given the gift of useful dream--one that I can use in writing fiction. That I wouldn't mind at all. One thing that I'd love to know is if I dream in color. They say most people don't.
Thanks Karen for the visit! I'm like you, I only remember dreams that seem to occur shortly before I wake up in the morning and they are never, ever of any use for my writing! I didn't know that most people dream in black and white, that's interesting. Trying to think back on the few I remember, it's true that color does not seem to enter the picture but neither does black and white ring a bell. It's as if all of them were in a-color, if such a thing can exist...I'll try and check next time I dream and report on it!