Something New and Way Out...A Science Fiction Serial Novel!

This is Boomer Lit Friday once again, and I've got something up my sleeve: a totally new book to reveal, I'm so excited! Here's the cover:

Fresh out, published as an e-book only 5 days ago and available on Amazon, click here, at the special launch price of 99 cents.


2213: FOREVER YOUNG is a serial novel à la WOOL, which is, as I'm sure you know, a famous science fiction serial novel that become a major best seller in just one year. A publishing phenomenon, it is considered as the science fiction successor to 50 Shades of Grey. Well...here I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my own little book!

In 2213: FOREVER YOUNG the problem of aging has been solved by medical science. The catch: only One Percenters can afford the costly Age Prevention Program...In Part One, I WILL NOT LEAVE YOU BEHIND, beautiful Emma is facing an excruciating quandary: she's 122 years old and learns her time is up. She's going to die within the next 10 hours...but she's madly in love with Sergio, a handsome 99Percenter, a Swiss ski instructor who doesn't know how old she is. Now what will she do?

Here's the opening:


It happened in the middle of our love-making. I was beginning to fly when my Life Watch beeped, bringing me down to earth. With a thud.

I was frightened because I knew what that beep meant. I opened my eyes and peered into Sergios face hoping he hadnt heard. He hadnt, his eyes were closed, his mouth clenched as he strained towards the climax. I relaxed, trying to catch up with him and enjoy it too.

I made all the appropriate sounds but my heart was no longer in it. No more. A terrifying thought.

Afterwards, I sneaked out of the crumpled bed sheets, leaving him to rest. I had to get away to check my watch. I locked the bathroom door making sure the lock clicked in silently. I didnt want to arouse his suspicions. But I needed to know, and I needed time for myself.

I couldnt see at first what was written on the watchs dark screen, then I remembered to wipe my index across the screen. A string of illuminated numbers popped up. A date: November 26, 2213 and a time: 7pm - 9 pm.

The exact date and time of my programmed death.

You may well wonder, how come it's Boomer Lit? After all, Emma is 122 years old, hardly a baby boomer! True, but the central issue here is aging and how we face death, which as we have all agreed in our Goodreads Group defines Boomer Lit as a genre

Just imagine a world in which the problem of aging has been done away with! Does that solve everything, does it mean we live forever young and happy? Not by half! But of course you need to read my book to see how it works out for Emma...and the answers I suggest.

I'm so excited about it, these are issues (and characters) that fascinate me! I'm presently at work writing Part Two which is called YOU WILL NOT TAKE MY PLACE. 

Yes, I'm doing the rounds of a future where the divide has become entrenched between One Percenters who can afford all the technological advances and the rest who can't. It's fun (and scary) to imagine the future awaiting us. 




But the future I see is nothing like these images, too conventional! In a way, my anchor in reality is this very blog: here is where I comment on current political and social issues, all starting points for my foray into the future -- which I don't see at all as your usual apocalyptic science fiction end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it sort of book. Nor even as an exploration in other worlds and planets, I love this one, our good old Earth!

This is our home, this is where we were all born, I often wonder how it will all really end, which means I try to make the most reasonable and likely assumptions. I really want to know as much as I can about the future! It's in this kind of exploration that I'd like to take you along with my Forever Young serial novel... 

And now, do continue your Friday Boomer Lit tour: for other great #boomerlit reads to enjoy, go here.

Before you go, remember to get 2213: FOREVER YOUNG, Part One: I WILL NOT LEAVE YOU BEHIND while it's still at a low price, 99 cents for the launch period in April.  


Just 99 cents: That's less than an espresso coffee and it will last you much longer! Why the low price? Because I want all my friends who enjoy my blog to take advantage of this promotion...
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Shelley Lieber said…
Excellent opener and Boomer Lit Friday post! Thanks, Claude. I'll be buying this for sure ;-)
Unknown said…
Sounds tantalizing.
Michael Murphy said…
This looks as terrific as A Hook in the Sky, Claude. Looking forward to reading it.
Thanks Shelley, hope you like it...
And if you read it...well, it gets from bad to worse!
Thanks Michael...actually, this is very different, much more like a thriller!
John Klawitter said…
Soooo, 200 years in the future. I guess I don't have to ask what you're doing after Hook. Great!
John, yes, this is it! I've linked my present worries - expressed here in my blog - to how I see the future! Not the happy place it could be even though Science is serving us all kinds of goodies on a gold plate...But the trouble is: we're humans. Humans today with all our foibles, humans tomorrow...unchanged! So yes, drama lurks in FOREVER YOUNG, but love and humor too!
Beate Boeker said…
I very much remember this from our brainstorming in Matera, Claude, and I just downloaded it!
Thanks Beate, I'm so happy you did! For anyone reading these comments, just a short word of explanation: we both attended a writers' retreat in the beautiful city of Matera (Southern Italy), sitting all day in prehistoric caves and discussing our WIPs, great fun! Anyone interested in attending can contact the Women's Fiction Festival that organizes it.
Beate, this morning I saw you left a review, you're the first customer to review this book, I'm so grateful. And five stars too, wow! Here, I'm copying the text of your review for others to see:

"I very much enjoyed this short story set in the future. The author came up with such an interesting concept - 1% of the population can prolong their lives and never look a day older until they're 110 to 140 years old. The heroine gets her "call to death" and isn't ready for it, so she's looking for ways out. It made me think about mortality and how we relate to it. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel!"

Spot on! I'm so happy this book made you think, that is the best compliment and of course, is exactly what I'm after, I'm hoping my readers when they close this short book take a minute to ponder it!
John Klawitter said…
Absolutely cutting edge. You bring the human side to technology.
Thanks John, and this is the read adapted to our frenetic times: can be read on the commuter train coming to work, just 60 pages!
saraphen said…
What a concept! I'm not much into sci-fi, but you've hooked me.
Jack Durish said…
Forever young: science fiction or science fact in the near term?
Saraphen, I'm SO happy I hooked you! Yes, for me science fiction is not about far away planets and fantastic gizmos and technical advances that have no relationship with our own world. Science fiction is a pretext to examine the issues that we are facing NOW! And do this in a fun, suspenseful way. I'm thinking of Brave New World, 1984, The Day of the Triffids as perfect examples of the kind of science fiction I'm into and that I really love!
Jack, that's it! As I told Saraphen (see my reply above), it really is a matter of dealing with issues of direct relevance to us through the means of a science fiction plot...It's not about aliens and distant planets that have nothing to do with us!